Re: Morgans on television

To: ARoman4047@aol.com
Subject: Re: Morgans on television
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:59:42 -0800
ARoman4047@aol.com wrote:

> Can someone check this one out:
>    Sally Jesse (yes, that one), had a show in Florida many years ago called PM
> MIAMI. Her guest that particular evening was Jean Shepherd, shilling his then-
> new book "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories, and Other Disasters". He
> drove to the station in his Drophead "63 +4. Sally Jesse oooed and aaaaed
> about the "cute" car  and had both Shepherd and Morgan on her show that night.
>    To quote Shepherd, "...the goddamn car has upstaged me again."
>    Shepherd also claims to have been for "...one brief catastrophic period in
> my life",
>    a Morgan dealer...
> Tony in NJTony- I remember Jean's column in Car & Driver on that one very
>well
indeed! I've been a Jean Shepherd fan since the earth cooled(well,OK,the
mid 60's)and in fact have been looking for a copy of that column (musta
been about 1969-1971?) ever since to hopefully include in a club
newsletter. I recollect that his Morgan got hung up half-suspended in
space on an elevated loading dock for that show...
        More trivia-Did you ever see "Jean Shepherd's America" on PBS TV?
He did one episode devoted to "driving." The camera focused on his face
as he drove his drophead, and he said "...any American male with glands
LOVES cars." (Probably not a politically correct sentiment 30 years
later.)I'd like to find a video tape of that series, as well.
        Great works by a great writer, and a man of obviously
discriminating taste.
        Jeff "upstaged by that damned car again" Smith
        1968 4/4 B1677