RHINEMOG '99

To: owner-morgans@autox.team.net, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RHINEMOG '99
From: Jhalfdime@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 15:44:58 EST
RHINEMOG ‘99
        Rhinemog ‘99 will be held at an old/new venue.  For those of you who’ve
played with Morgans for twenty five years or better, you may recall the early
‘70s saw the first Rhinemogs held at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.  Well, an old
friend is back!  While focusing on “Proper three-wheeled Morgans,” this newest
Rhinemog is open to all Morgans, regardless of tyre count!
        On Saturday, June 19, 1999, we have been invited to help open the Old
Rhinebeck Aerodrome’s show season.  It’s an opportunity to see some of
aviations oldest birds take to the air, including an Anzani-engined Bleriot
XI, the same type which Louis Bleriot flew (?) across the English Channel.
The show will focus on the Aerodrome’s collection of pre and post World War I
aircraft and we will be part of the festivities.
        The Aerodrome curator, Jim Hare, has set aside space next to the runway
which
we will be sharing with the Northern NJ MG T Club.  As a courtesy, Morgans (3
and 4 wheel) and their drivers will be admitted free.  Any passengers will
have to purchase a regular airshow ticket ($10 adult; $5 child 6-10).
        In addition to the airshow and the field level displays (Which include
an
early ‘30s Matchless MX 2 Sports 2 seater), there are four large museum
buildings with aircraft, autos, and motorcycles dating back to the turn of the
century.  In the event that you’re tired of being tied to Mother Earth, there
are rides given in a 1929 New Standard open cockpit biplane.  All-in-all, a
great way to begin summer!
        If I hear of enough interest by mid-May, I’ll work to set up a Morgan
dinner
Saturday following the show.
        Local lodging is available as follows:
                        Beekman Arms, Rhinebeck: 914-876-7077
                        Billed as the oldest continuously operated inn in
America:  Looks to be the
site for post-Aerodrome pints.  In village of Rhinebeck, approximately 5 miles
from Aerodrome.  Rooms are $85-115 per night; 2 night minimum.  The Arms has 4
locations, all very nice.  Original Inn dates from 18th century, other venues
(All within 2 minute walk) are 19th century and one 4 unit motel.
                Super 8 Motel, Hyde Park: 914-229-0088:  15 miles from
Aerodrome, typical
Super 8 units.
                Hearthstone Motel, Red Hook: 914-758-1811:  Older local motel
(1950s). Will
inquire if anyone
                is interested.
                Gaslight Inn, Red Hook: 914-758-1571:  Will inquire if anyone
is interested.
                Gaslight Inn B & B, Red Hook: 914-758-0120. Will inquire if
anyone is
interested.
                Village Inn, Rhinebeck:  914-876-7000.  Approx. 5 1/2 miles
from Aerodrome;
$72/night, 2 night
                minimum.
                Dutch Patroon Motel, Hyde Park: 914-229-7141.  Will inquire if
anyone is
interested.
                Belvedere Country Inn, Rhinebeck: 914-889-8000:  NO ROOMS;  ALL
BOOKED
                Red Hook Inn, Red Hook: 914-758-8445.  Will inquire if anyone
is interested.
                Veranda House B & B, Rhinebeck: 914-876-4133.  In village,
approx. 4 1/2
miles from
                Aerodrome.  5 rooms, approx $110-130/night; 2 night minimum.
                LESS EXPENSIVE:
                Pat Loeber (B & B): 4 rooms, 3 dbl. 1sgl. shared baths.  $75
one night,
$65/night for two nights.
                914-876-3710.
                Possibility of camping approx. 2 miles from Aerodrome, or
"bunkhouse"
within a mile or so for
                anyone strapped or willing to rough it!  Details to follow.
        ALL SITES GENERALLY FILL UP QUICKLY IN JUNE.  IF YOU'RE CONSIDERING
COMING,
CALL AND MAKE RESERVATIONS SOON.  MOST OF ABOVE REQUIRE DEPOSITS
(UNFORTUNATELY RHINEBECK IS QUITE POPULAR ON WEEKENDS).
        Should you have any questions, Jim Nichol may be reached at 25 Crumwold
Place, Hyde Park, NY 12538, 914-229-5088, or jhalfdime@aol.com.  Jim Hare, the
curator, is genuinely excited about our visit and the Aerodrome is a perfect
site for a Morgan gathering.  Cheers & Happy Morganing,  Jim