Re: NASCAR Technology

To: FPS3@aol.com, ggerth@west.net, nogera@prodigy.net, Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NASCAR Technology
From: FPS3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:14:53 EST
Has anyone tried the Evans coolant? As I understand it, it boils at 369
degrees. It may be straight propolyene glycol as I remember reading a few
years ago.
Seems that it would be the ticket for a car that ran "hot". Hot is relative-
we think of 212 as "hot" 'cuz the water boils & if it goes away there is
nothing to transfer the heat away from the engine. According to what I have
read (not tried...) the Evens coolant has another benifit as it is less prone
to form the steam pockets in the head- usualy around the exhaust valves- thus
reducing detonation tendencies.

I have read of the Evans SYSTEM being used in NASCAR types and they were
running over 320 degrees in unpressurized systems. However I just read an
article in HOT ROD magazine where they were using the Evans coolant only- with
a 7lb pressure cap to reduce detonation in a test engine.

300 degrees is not necessaraly "hot" for an engine- but it is with standard
coolant.
In fact, Evans says that the engine would like to run hotter and that there
are many benifits in running higher temperature and reducing the temp
differential amoung the various engine components.
A side benifit is that running higher temps also means that a smaller radiator
will suffice as the temp differential between the radiator and ambiant is
greater (more efficient) and they are not trying to lower the temp that far
either.

Sounds like a "natural" for a Morgan!
I need to learn more about this stuff- Evans NPG Coolant. Has anyone played
with it?

Fred Sisson