Re: Am I Blue?

To: "Stuart J. Ross" <stuross@nac.net>
Subject: Re: Am I Blue?
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 13:47:24 -0500
At 01:34 PM 2/3/99 -0500, Stu wrote:

>Second comment: I added something called "Water Wetter" to the cooling
>system. Picked it up at Moss Mtrs, but I think hot rod/speed shops carry it.
>I don't honestly know if it helped or not. What is it and does anyone either
>endorse it or disaprove of its use in a Morgan?

I tried this on my MGB some years ago, but agree with you that I didn't
detect much of a difference in running temps.  My understanding is that,
essentially, this stuff is acting as a very very mild detergent (not so
much that it 'foams') to help 'wet' the surfaces of the waterways in the
engine and the radiator (the idea here is that better 'contact' between
coolant and engine or radiator surfaces will enhance the heat transfer).
It sort of makes sense to me, but only on paper.  Again, as a practical
matter I haven't seen a change (tho, if memory serves, I've heard of others
who seem pretty happy with it).  Don't you just love completely
contradictory observations like that?

cheers,
WZ