RE: Responding

To: "'Arlo J. Levisen'" <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Subject: RE: Responding
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:57:12 -0500
Arlo,

I'll own up to using the term "appliance" and I applied it with my tongue
firmly planted in my cheek.  To me, something that works all the time and
needs little or no attention, is an appliance.  There's no negative
connotation; in fact, it can be considered as a compliment.

We own an 1987 Old Custom Cruiser; bought it brand new.  It now has 220 000
km on the odometer and the only "major" work it has had is a new upper
manifold gasket, a new water pump,  block heater and a set of brakes (having
the car repainted because GM had forgotten how was a major job but not a
mechanical necessity).  It's the work horse that gets us to and from "the
city" and across the continent.  Not really.  In that respect it is like the
refrigerator that you plug in the day you buy it and unplug it 20 years
later to replace it with a new one.  But would I trust it at -40?  Sure
would.

I have nothing against a Miata; I'd love to have one.  It certainly helped
turn the tide against the disappearance of roadsters.

Come to think of it, there are few sports cars I would refuse.

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB