Responding

Subject: Responding
From: "Arlo J. Levisen" <alevisen@gdhscats.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:01:09 +0300
DFL'ers:

I have been reading the comments about the Morgan being a real car, etc.
I have both a Miata and a Morgan and I think it a bit harsh to refer to
the Miata simply as an "appliance".

First of all, the Miata has by itself brought close to a half-million
more people into the "roadster world" than there were in 1990.  As well,
today there is quite am impressive choice of traditional
two-seat/rear-wheel drive/soft top automobiles to pick from world-wide.
Such was simply not true prior to the Miata proving to manufacturers
that a market still existed for these cars.  The Morgans certainly
weren't getting that job done!

I would also suggest that the ownership of a Miata or another similar,
modern sports car might get a person thinking seriously about purchasing
a Morgan as a further step down a great path to take.  I can tell you my
ownership of Fiats and Datsuns and Triumphs and Spitfires and MGs, etc.
was not exactly tripping my trigger in that direction.

My wife and I both enjoy each of these cars as they fit different bills
at different times and we would only encourage anyone to own either.
They both will get you where you want to go without question.  I would
say, however, that if you opt for a Morgan, being an "old car nut" would
help a lot - I don't care what year the Morgan is!  Maybe the '98's and
'99's are more refined, I don't know.

Later,

Arlo Levisen, Revillo, South Dakota   '87 Plus 8