Re: Responding

To: "Jim G" <jimgcusavecom@webtv.net>,
Subject: Re: Responding
From: "Stuart J. Ross" <stuross@nac.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:40:47 -0500
I suspect that there will be a considerable number of Miatas still running
in 2028 (if EPA rules don't force them into the crushers). The Miata club is
very active and Miata owners seem to be both enthusiastic and dedicated to
the marque. There is that 2 seater open car appeal that made the car a hit
in the first place. The same factors that causeMorgan owners to be
enthusiastic and loyal prevail with Miata drivers. Another very important
factor is the sheer number of Miatas in production. look at all the Morgans
still running compared to the small production numbers. So, there should be
large numbers of miatas "preserved' in the future. How many Model T and
Model A Fords are still available? Same reason...lots produced, and loyalty
to the marque. I hasten to add that I am not a Miata owner, but several
friends own them (Morgan owners...mostly) and I have driven them with
satisfaction. I have had/still have several sports cars, mostly british, and
3 Nissan 300ZXs. The 300s were tight and reliable and I could use them as
"daily drivers". You can do that with a Miata, too. My(new) 63 AH3000 was
bought as a daily driver (niave me then) but couldn't hold up as well as I
would have liked it to do. But my 3 ZXs all could. I love my Morgan, but I
wouldn't dream of it as an every day car, same for my XKE. But they are both
considered "great marques". We're lucky that we can afford the luxury of
these "toys" and have the resources to "support our habbit" of these cars.
Don't start knocking the future 'classics' like the Miata. How many of us
will be around in 2028 to see if they will be antiques, anyway. Most of us
have passed into "antiqueness" ourselves. Well, that's my 2 cents (or 2
shillings) worth for the evening.
Stu Ross: 63 +4,53 R-Type Bentley;74 XKE; 78 Ferrari 308GTS  (and the bills
that go along with them!)