picklling an engine

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: picklling an engine
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:44:04 -0500
Dear all:

With the much anticipated arrival of a 1600 X-flow engine for my wickedly
charming 1967 4/4, and with the list's and other's advice to save the
'original' 1500 side flow mill, I am faced with discerning the best method
to set the 1500 up for a long storage period, i.e., I think I want to
pickle the thing, but how?  Any thoughts?  My thinking hasn't much gotten
beyond running it with fresh oil for a short while before storage, removing
the rocker arm (so as to relieve extra preassure on valve springs), and
putting some heavy weight oil in the plug holes (maybe with some slow
turning of the crank to coat the inner cylander walls and piston rings).
Any other ideas?  I've heard rumors of some other moisture sealant, sort of
like waxoyl (sp?) that some use for REALLY long term storage.  On the other
hand, others (i.e. mechanics I've known) seem to just rip the dang thing
out of the car and toss it in a corner and not give it another thought.  Is
life too complicated already, or should I pickle this thing?

cheers,
WZ