Re: ? How to import a car from England?

To: snotrek@cil.qc.ca
Subject: Re: ? How to import a car from England?
From: "William G. Lamb, III" <lambroving@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:01:26 -0500
Bob, and unsigned misguided,

 I thought we were talking Morgans here, NOT Land Rovers, (which I
happen to sell).

 3.5 Litre & 3.9 Litre Plus 8's were legitimately sold here by both Isis
and Cantab from 1987 through 1995, utilizing primarily Land Rover's
EPA Certification. The same for the 1.8 Zetec using Ford's Certification.
Much DOT work was done by both Isis and Cantab. Morgan Motor Co.
could not possibly afford the costs of EPA Certification if they were
obliged to conduct the complete cycle. Cantab and Isis utilize the
paperwork for the engine certification from both Land Rover and Ford,
and then proceed on a waiver which allows them a 3,000 mile EPA
"Road Test" for certification. Both Cantab and Isis are registered with
US DOT with "Manufacturer's Status", i.e. the door plaques list Cantab
and Isis as manufacturers, not the Morgan Motor Co. They are solely
responsible for meeting current DOT Regulations for those Registration
Years.

 The process I outlined in my earlier mail is not hypothetical, and has
been successfully conducted by Cantab on at least one occasion to
my knowledge. The only certain way to convert and equip a "modern"
Morgan without the possibility of registration difficulties would be to
use the services of one of the U.S. Agents.

(Land Rover North America is only interested in selling the vehicles
which it certified and imported, so don't even THINK about converting
one. You will get no assistance due to the liabilities involved. Even
Land Rover has to post a 4xValue bond with US Customs for the
EEC-spec cars it uses here, and these must be exported within
12 months, or the bond is forfeit and/or the car is "crushed" without
ceremony.)

Willie