RE: Shop air compressors

To: "'LSelz@aol.com'" <LSelz@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Shop air compressors
From: "Blair, John" <JBlair@scn.spawar.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:07:15 -0500
Lannis,

   I don't think I'm mont any of the plumbing "inside" the wall.  I'd round
it around
The outside of the wall up at the ceiling to wall joint.  This way, if you
have to
Get to any of the pipe for any reason - like expanding your installation, it
will be
Easy to do.  Also since you are at the ceiling/wall corner you can use the
wall
Space for shelves etc.

If you aren't mounting the compressor out side, I'd try to mount it in a
corner.

Some of the installation stuff you describe is over kill.  I would plump a
pipe around
The ceiling of my garage with on down pipe on each side wall about  5 to 10
feet
In from the main garage doors.  This way you can easily reach all around
inside
The garage, and with 2 hoses, one on each side, have 2 air tools ready to
go.
Depending on you neighborhood and your garage layout.  I have to work either
In my garage - not very often as I usually have a car strewn all over - so I
have
To work on most things in my driveway.  My compressor is mounted under a
Workbench against the back wall of the garage.  So I need over 20' of hose
just
To get to the door.  If I had a plumbed line by the front doors, I could
move a lot
Further out into the yard with out having to get and additional hose.

Any place you want a air outlet, I'd drop a vertical line from the ceiling.
When you
Come down, come down to about 3 or 4 feet from the ground.  At this point,
put
A 90 deg elbow.  I would install a moisture separator/water trap at each
down
Pipe.

In addition, I took some copper tubing and wrapped it around a 2 liter coke
bottle.
Now I have a nice copper cooling coil on the output of the compressor.  I
set the
Coil in a large bucket.  I can fill the bucket with water to help cool the
air, and I
Can also insert a frozen (water filled) 2 Liter bottle into the coil to try
and cool the
Air even more.  This coil is hooked to my compressor with a hunk of normal
3/8" hair hose.  DON'T use ANY of the ¼" air hose for anything.  It has too
much
restriction.

If you mount your compressor someplace that doesn't get much air
circulation,
Like mine - under the work bench - I suggest installing a box fan to help
blow
Air across the compressor to help cool it.

John

John T. Blair
jblair@scn.spawar.navy.mil
SPAWARSYSCEN Chesapeake        jblair@exis.net <mailto:jblair@exis.net>
(home)
Chesapeake, Va                                 (757) 523-8133