RE: Sill covers & Lucas

To: "'Bob Nogueira'" <nogera@prodigy.net>,
Subject: RE: Sill covers & Lucas
From: "Blair, John" <JBlair@scn.spawar.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 07:41:27 -0400
Bob Nogueira wrote:

>Regarding the Lucas Issue, the use of Motorcraft (yes Will,  a Ford
product)
>Dielectric Compound (grease) on all connections, bulbs and fuses has
>prevented corrosion and the resulting blackouts.

To continue this thought for a second.  As anyone come up with a good way to
Clean old dirty contacts before applying the dielectric compound.  I've
tried using
Sandpaper on Popsicle sticks, screwdrivers, and knifes.  The sandpaper works
Best but ONLY if you have access to the connector - like a grounding eyelet.
I haven't found anything for cleaning the female spade clips.

For those that aren't initiated into the problems of an old wiring harness,
the
Solution seems very easy, cut the old connector off, and simply solder a new

One on.  The problem with this, is that if the connector is tarnished, you
can bet
The wire is also.  This tarnish, will NOT let solder adhere to the wire.  So
you have
to  cut a little more wire off looking for a clean spot.   I've cut over 3
feet back on a
wire looking for clean wire that I could solder to with on luck.

Oh, the joys of playing with old cars.

John

John T. Blair
jblair@scn.spawar.navy.mil
SPAWARSYSCEN Chesapeake
Chesapeake, Va                                 (757) 523-8133