Re: Alignment of the bonnet halfs.

To: "Christian Ness" <cqness@worldnet.att.net>, <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alignment of the bonnet halfs.
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 13:52:43 -0700
Stand behind your car with the top down and sight down the centerline of the
car.  Use the center of the spare tire (or the wire wheel attachment wing
nut) and the center of the dash, the horn button is a good reference, as
sights.  Then follow these sightlines out to the chrome hinge that is the
centerline of the bonnet.  Note whether the chrome hinge goes off to the
right or the left.  It should be exactly straight and in line with the horn
button and the center of the spare tire.  If it is not the bodywork to bent
and out of alighnment.  NOTE, the frame can be straight and the body still
be bent!  Often the frame is straight and the valence panels are bent of to
theright or left. Since the fenders mount on the valences, if the valences
are out of alighnment the fenders and nose will be out of alighnment.
Repairing this kind of damage is a MAJOR  production. As the fenders and
valences go to the right, for example, the right fender will drop at the
wing lamp and the left fender will get to high.  To realign the front body
you must start with the frame , then the valences, then the fenders and the
nose and the bonnets.

Regards, Greg Solow