Re: Alignment of the bonnet halfs.

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alignment of the bonnet halfs.
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 21:01:19 -0400
At 01:03 PM 4/24/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Gang,
>Are there any tips you can offer when it comes to adjusting the bonnets on
>Morgans? One side seems to fit pretty good - the other is horrible. It is
>the original bonnet - so at this time I am convinced it's just a matter of
>adjustment. The bonnet was removed by the PO for a paint job, and I presume
>not put back right. Where is the best place to start - the top bulkhead
>hinge pin, the cowl hinge pin, should I loosen/remove the cowl, get the
>bonnet right and then sort the cowl out last?

Jeff,

   If you figure it out, how about writting an article for the Morgan Web
page!  I have the same problem.  When I reinstalled the hood after restoring
my car, it doesn't fit with squat.  I have posted several times and directly
mailed the question to several other knowledgeable Morgan owners.  What I've
learned is:

1. Supposedly adjusting the front nose will help.  You should have slots
   cut in the nose and the front of the front fenders and valances.  This
   will allow the nose to be moved upward and backwards or tilted a little.

2. What one person told me was that the hood is the LAST thing to be worked
   on.  After the rest of the car is painted and fitted, they place the hood.
   If you look closely at the front and rear of the hoods by the hinges you'll
   see a small "L" sort-of shaped reinforcement plate.  They weld another
   piece of metal to that.  Then by grinding it away, the can adjust where
   the hood is sitting.  Then the hood is painted and installed.

3. I'm about to try a similar thing, but I'm going to try and play with the
   brass end plates for the hinges.  My car is completely finished, but the
   hood moves for and aft on the hinge.  It can be positioned so it is fitting
   nicely over the eng. bay.  But it doesn't stay there.  It moves.  Since
   new end caps are only about $12 ea, I've ordered 2 new ones.  I'm going to
   try and put new end caps on the hing and hope that they are longer then my
   original ones.  Then grind each side of the end plate to adjust the
   position of the hinge.  If necessary, I will braze and extension on the
   end plates.

4. I've also been told that the bar that runs behind the radiator can be
   adjusted to help.  However, that will only spread the front of the
   eng. bay opening a little.  That didn't help in my case.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: webus80.wang.com/BI (new adderss)