RE: Cleaning cream switches and Indicator switch

To: vandergraaft@aecl.ca, DGreimel@aol.com
Subject: RE: Cleaning cream switches and Indicator switch
From: Gerry Willburn <Gerry.Willburn@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 07:57:51 -0700
Chuck,

It has been my experience that:

1.  If there is any shortening of life of the regulator, it is miniscule
(190,000 miles instead of 200,000?).

2.  No truth that I have found, though again there might be some minimal
amount theoretically.  I have not delved into the physics though I have
heard of people who hung zincs in the radiator.

3.  The only real advantage is if you want to add modern accessories like a
radio or electric fuel pump.  There also seems to be less corrosion around
the positive terminal of the battery, though modern sealed batteries go a
long way towards accomplishing this end.

4.   If you examine the motor mounts you will find that the engine is bolted
to a plate which is in turn, bonded to the rubber mount.  Another plate
bonded to the bottom, is mounted to the frame.

When the car was new, there was a small ground strap connecting the bolts on
the top plate to the bolts on the bottom plate to accomplish the ground.  We
usually attach a heavy braided ground strap from the top mounting bolt of
the starter motor to the lip of the adjacent cross member of the frame (even
if the original strap is still on the motor mounts).

Should you make the switch to negative ground (we usually do on our cars),
there is another step don did not mention.  Unless you reverse the wires on
your ammeter, it will read backwards.  It will still function and there is
no danger of damage, but it will read charge when the battery is discharging
and visa versa.

To recap if you want to make the change:

a.  Reverse the battery connections.

b.  Reverse the ammeter connections.

c.  Flash the generator (to teach it what polarity you have the battery) by
jumpering "F" (Field) to "A" (Ammeter) on the regulator (control box) for
about one second.  This sets the residual magnetic field on the field coils
do the generator knows which way to behave.

Good luck,

Gerry