Re: Wave-and-Flash-Lights-Ranking

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wave-and-Flash-Lights-Ranking
From: "Christian Ness" <cqness@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 11:53:28 -0700
Good topic.  I too have previously been mostly at the bottom of the British
car food chain - MGA, Mini, Triumph GT-6, MGB GT and happily observed my
place of obligation, waving first or flashing the lights first when
encountering other British cars of higher order.  I did make a foray into
the middle class with a Lotus Europa Twin Cam and then into the rarefied
class with two original Lotus Elites.

In all these cars I knew where I was on the social order and when I was
obligated to wave or flash first and vice versa.  Personally I put the
Morgan near the top but do know it still occasionally meets a superior being
to whom homage is owed.  I ran into a difficult situation a few weeks ago.
I was driving south in Oceanside on Coast Highway (old Route 101 which is
now going through a nostalgia revival as did Route 66).  Going north was a
beautiful condition early XKE roadster.  I thought about it and finally
waved, first.  Didn't actually receive a return wave although the driver
nudged his wife/companion in the passenger seat and pointed at me - well at
the Morgan - so I guess I wasn't snubbed.  Anyway, the point is I wouldn't
have waved first at a later XKE but figured the earlier ones deserve a bit
of respect.  I think it must be like this for royalty - the higher you get
the more nuanced the ranking.

Chris "I'm not a snob, no, really" Ness
Bonsall, California (North San Diego County)
1961 Plus 4