RE: Speedbleeder -Reply

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speedbleeder -Reply
From: "Bill Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:21:03 -0500
In my experience, the old standby of having your wife push the pedal
while you open and close the bleeder has been the only way to get rid of
the air.  The old English master cylinders seem to have more of a
resistance to flow than the typical US unit so, if the bleeder is loose
and the pedal is released, you suck air back through the threads.  I
tried sealing them with Teflon tape but air still got into the system.
This was using a Mityvac but the Speed bleeder would probably have the
same problem with negative pressure at the bleed valve screws.

Some people swear by the pressure bleeders and I expect that they work
but it seems that every other person ends up with brake fluid all over
their engine compartment.  I am fairly slow to accept new technology so
I still use LMA and don't want to repaint the engine compartment.  With
Nancy's help the system gets bled with little fuss although she always
seems to surprise me with some LMA in the face at some point during the
process.   I am not the best about remembering to stay out of the way
and Nancy like to keep me on my toes so don't take this to mean that a
Castrol bath is inevitable.

Regards,
Bill