Re: Plus 8 oil pan plate

To: " LMG@GoMoG " <gomog@angelfire.com>
Subject: Re: Plus 8 oil pan plate
From: "William G. Lamb, III" <lambroving@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:37:20 -0400
Hi, Lorne,

 The plate of which you speak must be a characteristic of the SD-1 engine
or something concocted by MMC. No Land Rover V-8 I have seen over here,
including 3.5 EFi has ever used anything other than a stamped two-level
steel sump, sealed with RTV or "The Right Stuff". (I note with interest that
MMC have used a thin rubber gasket of some sort on my 4.0.) Is it possible
that a Land Rover stamped sump will fit your engine as well? The LR 3.5's
were sold here in 1987 & 1988.

Cheers,

Willie

At 07:31 PM 6/10/99 -0400, LMG@GoMoG wrote:

>---
>LMG
>GoMoG at
>http://www.angelfire.com/mi/GoMoG/
>
>I was speaking to a hot rod expert familiar with the Rover V8. He
suggested cutting the plate which is attached to the bottom of the oil pan
and bolted to the transmission. He says that this plate does not have any
useful purpose and the "flexing" of the engine and transmission transmits
stress through the plate to points on the oil pan which will inevitably
rupture.