HS6 Floats

To: "'morgans@autox.team.net'" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: HS6 Floats
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:14:28 -0700
I completed my car this weekend and spent considerable time test driving. It
is running great with all the problems I experienced last fall resolved
(vibrations in the drive train). I took my wife for an evening drive
yesterday and wouldn't you know it the front carb float bowl started
leaking. It was leaking bad enough that I just shut down the car. Luckily I
was able to contact a neighbor on the cell phone (thank goodness for this
technology) to pick me up. I pulled the top cover and float assembly from a
spare set of carbs in my basement and had the car back going in no time
(well may an hour all tolled). Apparently the needle shut-off valve in the
float had stuck open and the bowl was flooding.

I do have a question for the group. The HS6 carbs on this car are almost
brand new and are the later type that have regular hose connections that
require hose clamps. All the earlier SU carbs that I am familiar with have
an overflow line originating on the top of the float bowls. These carbs do
not have any visible overflow lines, but gas was coming out all over the top
and it was hard to tell where it was coming from. Do they have a breather
hole in the top to allow air to enter (and gas to escape if the shut-off
valve sticks)? I have to admit I like the old system better since you could
rout the overflow lines away from exhaust and electrical contacts.

Phil Roettjer
67 +4
67 MGB

P.S. I  installed a split brake master system per Fred Sisson's book and the
brakes work great. In addition to installing the new master system I also
rebuilt both front a rear brakes while I had it down last winter. I am very
pleased with this conversion and recommend it highly.