Re: '64 plus4

To: Jim G <jimgcusavecom@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: '64 plus4
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:15:52 -0600
Hey JimG,

Sorry, but your earlier statement << ALL +4's from 1964 to eaily 1967
had the 175CD Zenith carbs from the factory. >> is just simply wrong.

I do not dispute that SOME Mogs were fitted with Strombergs but
certainly not << ALL +4's from 1964 to eaily 1967... >> And please note
that your cited reference does NOT say that << ALL +4's from 1964 to
eaily 1967... >> were fitted with Strombergs. I must refer you back to
para 2:15, "All TR engined Plus/4s (sic) except the Super Sports
model have been fitted with twin S.U. carburetters EXCEPT for a short
period when Stromberg-Zenith (sic) units were utilised."  The later
short discussion of the Stromberg unit is to support those cars fitted
with Strombergs during that "short period when Stromberg-Zenith (sic)
units were utilised."

As far as I can tell, based mainly on the Haynes SU book, it is more
likely that the 63/64 would have the more unusual Stromberg units. The
SU's are by far the more common carb on TR's and the TR engined Mogs.

What you probably meant to say in your first post, and definitely should
have said, is, "ANY +4 from 1964 to eaily 1967 COULD HAVE had the 175CD
Zenith carbs from the factory."  Frankly, very few people, me least of
all, would argue about the delivered configuration of any particular Mog
since the factory has done some fairly unusual things. If you have
visited The Works you will understand this.

You may not be "mad" but you are definitely wrong when you say  << ALL
+4's from 1964 to eaily 1967 had the 175CD Zenith carbs from the
factory. >>

Cheers!

--ColinC