Morgan Penna. State Inspection

To: "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Morgan Penna. State Inspection
From: "Ross Jones" <rossjones@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:13:46 -0400
Just got my 1987 4/4 inspected by a mechanic authorized by the state of
Pennsylvania.

I made sure prior to the inspection that everything was O.K., down to the
controversy about having two rear-view mirrors opposed to that plus-a-mirror
on the windscreen.

The car passed inspection for the price of the sticker... no work needed.
Great news for me.

However, since the car was inspected, the brake light keeps flashing on and
off. Some fellow British Car owners claim I should:

a: slam the brakes on at a high speed
b: bleed the entire system
c: ?????????

Since the car is a 4/4 and had only 5K mile on it, it seems to me the
mechanic screwed something up while performing the Penna. State inspection.

Should I bleed the brakes of a pristine vehicle or try some other option?
There was nothing wrong with the car until it was inspected.

I would like to mention that I visited Cantab Motors in Virginia on June 15,
my birthday. I got the day off from work, and drove my Dodge Stealth down to
Purcelleville. Picked a bad time, as Cantab was moving from one side of the
industrial park to the other.

But I must say that that Cantab was most gracious, and even gave me a ride
in their new +8 sample. Roy especially is a guy to deal with. I have had
nothing but great relations with Cantab, even given the bad time I chose to
visit. My ride in the 1999 Plus 8 was extraordinary... a very different
experience from my 1987 4/4.

First off, the cabin and the car itself was much wider. The ride was very
solid, almost so solid to be unlike a Morgan. Roy, the employee I dealt
with, was extraordinarily particular. If you are on the East Coast, and need
Morgan parts, contact this man.

Win Sharples is a fantastic person. Although I only saw him, I got his
history from Roy. His father created the first animated cartoon (Felix the
Cat) which, contrary to popular believe, predated Mickey the Mouse.

Cantab Motors seems to me a very great importer... the people are great, and
although they were in the midst of moving across the industrial park, they
made every effort to accommodate me. And I arrived in a Dodge Stealth, no
less.

I can't say enough about the graciousness of Cantab, especially when I
visited during the midst of a move. Since my car was in such good shape, the
only items I bought were shirts and other regalia. Bought the Aero Wind
Screens, but they interfere with my mirrors, which are mounted on the upper
door sills. Can't seem to find any useful place for these objects. Plus my
wife does not like them. Hopefully, I will be able to return them. Truth is,
they look like shit. Being plastic, you know.

Otherwise, if you are a Morgan owner on the East Coast, Cantab is the only
choice. I cannot say enough about how nice these people treated a relative
novice. In the past, I have had TR2's, TR3's, MGA's, Daimler SP-250, and
finally a Morgan 4/4. Roy at Cantab is an enclybedia of informaton. I cannot
stress how much I was impressed by this company's dedication to the Morgan
Marque, and their otherwisie genuine dedcication to quality in general. This
is a great company. I saw Morgan's from every stage of development at
Cantab... everything is top-notch.

Cantab is about a 3-hour drive from my home in Penna., but I have convinced
my wife (the most important figure) to visit Purcellville. Be glad to see
the new building!