RE: Morgan Penna. State Inspection

To: "'Ross Jones'" <rossjones@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Morgan Penna. State Inspection
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:03:09 -0400
Ross,

Just mentioning the Pennsylvania State inspection brings back bad memories
from when I spent five years in the 1960s in that beautiful state and had to
have my '52 +4 inspected semi-annually. If you didn't watch him, the
mechanic would start by scraping the current validation sticker of the car
and then find something wrong.  I recall the following: "not having a
certified laminated windshield" (the people who replaced the glass found
out, after breaking the glass, that it would have passed inspection),
"headlights too close together" (had to go to another inspection station),
"no centre foglight allowed" (all lights had to be in pairs, solved by
cutting the wiring to the offending fog lamp), and "improper tail lights"
(rectified by adding a pair of reflectors).  Of course, these deficiencies
never showed up at the same time but were either due to changing laws and
regulations, ignorant or opportunistic mechanics.  I hate to think how far
they've evolved (devolved) since then.

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB