Re: Hot Road Trip

To: "DeLuca, Joseph" <Joseph.DeLuca@wl.com>,
Subject: Re: Hot Road Trip
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:14:33 -0700
Make sure that the ignition timing is set correctly.  The timing on a 4/4
should advance up to about 36 to 38 degrees total advance by about 4,000
rpm.  That is mechanical advance, checked by reving the engine up in neutral
with the vacum advance disconnected.  You need to have an "advance" timing
light or measure of and mark the crank pulley to read total advance.  If the
timing is retarded, then the temp of the exhaust gas and the header with
skyrocket.  The vacum advance is a fuel economy device designed to advance
the timing when cruising at part throtle.. If it is not working that can
also raise the exhaust temp.

Regards, Greg Solow