Re: and stuff...

To: delicate@rev.net, Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: and stuff...
From: LSelz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:31:00 EDT
In a message dated 6/24/99 23:03:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Elton from
delicate@rev.net writes:

<< In the time I have been going to national and
 club events, I a poor country boy from the hills of Virginia, have been
 able to share a common joy with people from all walks of life.  Some are
 rich enough to buy the town I live in and some are like me.  Most are
 somewhere in between.  The Morgan is the common thread that binds us all
 together.  It is an appreciation for something beautiful and yet simple.
 Something to be enjoyed.  I don't know what the end result of the Morgan
 moving toward the high end market will be, and I am not sure I care.
 Somebody has to buy the cars and get tired of them so I can afford them
 later.  If Fink and Sharples can make a buck off of somebody that only sees
 a Morgan as a jewel to be cherished, so be it.  Maybe they will learn how
 to get along and perhaps join the family in the future.

Elton - Speaking as a poor country boy from the not-so-high-hills of central
Virginia, I second your sentiment wholeheartedly.

I've also started something that I hope will spread the Morgan jones a little
further.

I noticed when I was Morgan-hunting that very few people (well, to be
accurate, no people) would take the hint that I might like to drive their
Morgan to see what one was like.  Maybe it was because I was breathing hard
and fogging the fenders and they were afraid I might drool on the leather, or
maybe they reacted the same as if I had asked if I might take their wife for
a ride.  (Certainly understandable).  Win Sharples let me drive one of his
'round the lovely Maryland/Virginia countryside, (for which I will always
give him the name of a good fella) and I was in.

In memory of that poor Morganless searcher that I was, I now let (almost)
anyone who wants to drive mine.  Several people at work who I caught staring
at it at lunch were tossed the key (if they have nerve enough to think they
can shift with their left hand, I've got nerve enought to let them try) and
told to have a good time.  Sometimes it comes back to you, and I got to drive
a 365 HP '65 Corvette roadster in return (went like a striped ape in a
straight line, handled .....well, not like a Morgan on the on-ramp).   A guy
at a "cruise night" east of here, who had a Gazelle repli-kit, drove mine,
and has bought a Morgan basketcase as a result (or so he tells me).

So fly the flag, spread the word, convert the masses.  There could be twice
as many people driving Morgans as there are today and it would still be the
rarest, most exclusive sign of a real 'car guy' (or gal) on the road.  And
maybe the parts would get a little cheaper!!!

                              Lannis