Re: 5 Speed Gearbox Conversions

To: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@home.com>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5 Speed Gearbox Conversions
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@tag.csiro.au>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:06:17 +1000
An OZ company called DELLOW makes bell housings for a variety of engines
including the Ford Kent. The most popular gearbox is the Toyota Celica 5
speed. The steel case version of this could handle a Mack truck! The bell
housings are Aluminium to compensate for the heavier gearbox. A friend is
fitting one of these to his 4/4 which he is rebuilding. It does not look
like any chassis mods are needed although a new gearbox tunnel will have to
be made. The company will sell the bell housing alone or a kit including a
rebuilt gearbox and all the other bits including the clutch parts required.
The company is based in Sydney.

Cheers

Steve

>On our MogNW club trip to the coast last weekend (14 cars, 1958-1999,
>~450 miles R/T, fantastic weather, etc, etc) the topic of 5 speed
>conversions came up.
>
>We were looking at the literature from an NZ company that offers bell
>housings and transmissions for a variety of British vehicles.  The
>discussions regarding fitting to Morgans focussed on how to fit the
>bell housing and the transmission without serious modification to the
>frame crossmembers.  No definitive answer was reached but it provided
>some interesting conversation and speculation.
>
>Since I hadn't seen any reference to this company on this mail list, I
>thought I'd pass along the URL for you to make your own inquiries:
>http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/
>
>Mike

Stephen S. Moore
Principal Research Scientist
Beef CRC Molecular Genetics Sub Program Leader
CSIRO, Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre
Level 3, Gehrmann Laboratories, Research Road
University of Queensland, St. Lucia, 4072

ph 61 7 3214 2476
fax 61 7 3214 2480