Re: An Alternative to Electric Fan?

To: "Armando Picciotto" <apicciotto@nvusd.k12.ca.us>,
Subject: Re: An Alternative to Electric Fan?
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:18:24 -0700
You are very thorough in the test results given.  They are interesting to
say the least.
    It appears to me that you may have a serious radiator problem.  With a
standard original radiator in good condition, under the circumstances you
describe, my experience is that the running temp should be around 180
degrees.  This is with only the original fan and the radiator duct panel
which we install and can supply that fills the gap between the box at the
base of the grill and the radiator core itself.  The extra efficient fans
certianly help pull more air through the radiator, but the high temps that
you continue to experience indicate that either the radiator is unable to
give up an adequet amount of heat or else there is something that is causing
the engine to give off to much heat.  That could be excessivley retarded
ignition timing, a very lean air/fuel mixture, or possibly a leaking head
gasket.
                                                                    Regards,
Greg Solow