Part 3, ConMogCon Redux

Subject: Part 3, ConMogCon Redux
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 18:31:44 -0600
(PART 3 CONT'D)

It is my belief that most single marque clubs have seen their membership
decline in recent years due, I think, to the availability of the internet.
Paradoxically, the creation of ConMogCon could well cause an increase in the
membership rosters of the local clubs.

Some listers have truly embraced the web... Some of us are so far gone that we
really don't see any need for hardcopy printed newsletters, notices, and
magazines... So, those members should be able to elect not to receive any
printed material and, therefore, not have to pay for the magazine and
newsletters. These net-members could pay only $25 per year, for example.

This approach presupposes that the slick quarterly mag, all newsletters, and
other announcements would be posted on the internet. It is my belief that this
is not particularly difficult to accomplish though I should leave it to others
to address in detail. I do know that there are some awfully nice online mags
and newsletters out there right now.

I am of mixed emotions about whether the ConMogCon online sites should be
available only to dues paying members or to anyone who is net enabled. On the
one hand, why should people who are not "paying the freight" for the
organization have access to some of the principal benefits? On the other hand,
won't the online mag and newsletters provide one of the chief attractions for
new members?

Perhaps the best approach would be to make the magazine index and selected
articles available to everyone with other parts of the publications protected
by a password. Again, I have the impression that this would not be
particularly hard to accomplish.

Incidentally, while I think that the annual Convention and Concours should be
open to all Morgans and Morganists, I think that non-members should have to
pay an extra $25 (or whatever) to underwrite the organization.

Soooo.....

Can it be done? Yes, I think so. What would it take?

First, it would take about a dozen good men and women, drawn from both the net
and non-net communities, who believe it can and should be done. These people
are the sparkplugs who will be responsible for writing draft by-laws and
constitutions, starting to organize the major programs, and, most importantly,
carrying the message to various local clubs. It is important that the
sparkplug set include representatives from all the existing local and regional
clubs because someone needs to carry the message, coordinate, and introduce
motions to the club membership. The first motions need to be just to gain
expressions of support, then later motions will be needed to modify club
by-laws.

I frankly doubt whether ConMogCon can be established in any meaningful form
without the full cooperation and support of the existing Morgan clubs and I
realize that some of you believe that the existing clubs will automatically
oppose such an organization. Perhaps I am being naive when I say I think they
will support the movement. After all, they have nothing--discounting
"politics"--to lose and much to gain.

Structurally, I think the ConMogCon superclub should to a great extent be
governed by the currently existing local and regional clubs. That is to say,
each local chapter would select a representative to the ConMogCon Board of
Directors. The Board would then consist of, say, nine or ten members who, as
their first order of business, would select officers from among themselves.
The Board would also be able to determine the need for special "chairs" and
make special appointments.

I personally am willing and able to devote considerable time to the organizing
effort if there is a considerable showing of support for the concept. To
provide working capital needed for postage, phone calls, and so forth I would
be prepared to prepay my dues for several years.

Sooooo.....

What do you think? Is this something we should go forward with or shall we set
it aside until Y3K?

Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'66 Plus 4 Four Seater, RHD

***********************

<< I am new to Morgans and I think it is a great idea. >>

<< Sound like you have an idea.  Maybe, you should be planing a North America
meeting. Say early spring 2000, at some central location. >>

<< There are other advantages to a national Morgan organization  as well.
Cheaper liability insurance springs directly to my  mind. >>

<< ... I've  been approached by others with the same suggestion. >>

<< I'm all in favor and would support such a move... >>

<< ...years ago we had discussions about this kind of structure.  I can't
remember why it was dismissed, probably politics. >>

<< Mog on! >>

<< There must be many people who would volunteer to get something like this up
and running. What do you need? >>

<< Your idea sounds very much like what we have in the UK, and that works
extremely well. >>

(END OF MESSAGE)