RE: Moss front seal

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Moss front seal
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 07:26:46 -0700
Elton,
I just finished this job the other weekend on my 67 +4. I had rebuilt the
trani this past winter, but the front seal was leaking very badly. So the
other weekend I pulled the trani out and just replaced the front seal. You
will need to remove the four bolts on the front housing and then remove the
housing. To do this I found that you can hold onto the housing with one hand
while applying an forward pressure and with the other hand use your copper
hammer to tap on the end of the input shaft. You will find that the housing
starts to move away from the trani casing and will eventually just slide
off. You don't have to worry about anything coming apart since the input
shaft and its rear bearing should stay in place. The front bearing on the
input shaft also remained on the shaft as the housing slide off.

Now the second thing I would recommend is to not use the original
replacement seal. It is a heavy looking affair with a seal made from
leather. I purchased a neoprene seal from Cantab (Morgan Spares also carries
this seal). The only catch with installing this seal is that the housing
must be machined to accept this seal since the new seal has a slightly
larger outside diameter. This is a very easy machine shop job, so you
shouldn't have any difficulty finding some place to get the job done. I will
never use one of those leather seals again as long as I can find a neoprene
replacement. As a side note the outer seals on the rear axle come in either
neoprene or leather. I would use the neoprene.

After the seal is installed in the front housing you need to slide the
housing back in place. Before you do this I found it worked well to tape the
small step on the input shaft. If you don't do this you run a risk of
reversing the seal lips as they cross this step. I believe this is what
happened when I installed the seal last winter. I just used plastic
electrical tape and wrapped it around until the step was filled in and it
was a smooth transition. This way the seal has a nice linear transition up
to the larger diameter portion of the input shaft.

Then the last thing to do is to put gasket sealer on the four bolts (these
bolt holes go into the trani and can leak oil if not sealed) and reinstall
them. The heads on these bolts have holes so you can use safety wire
(mechanics wire) to make sure they cannot come undone.

I did the above on my trani about two weeks ago and it is not leak free.
Prior to this I was leaving a trail for someone to follow in case they
needed to find me.

Good luck,
Phil Roettjer
67 +4