Re: Answer & Question

To: "Jane McDaid" <Murphys@ziplink.net>,
Subject: Re: Answer & Question
From: "Stuart J. Ross" <stuross@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 23:22:56 -0400
I have had several cars insured through St. Paul Mercury with Condon &
Skelly. They simply asked me what I would like to claim as the value for
each car, and charge me by the hundred dollar increments. If I want to
increase the value (just had one repainted, so I wanted to reflect that in
the value) they simply readjusted my premium. When my 74 XKE became an
"antique" on Jan. 1 (25 years old) they actually lowered the cost of the
premium per hundred dollars of value. Nobody has ever asked for an
appraisal. Of course, I have never claimed that my Morgan is worth $50k. I
have kept the value within reason, and they have accepted my figures, and
charged me accordingly. I have a 78 Ferrari 308 that the previous owner had
once valued at something like $70,000 according to the records that came
with the car. Surprised me. That car was never worth that kind of money. So
it seems that some companies will take any figure supplied by the owner and
charge them an equivalent fee.