Technical Advice From the list, please!

To: "Morgans@Autox.Team.Net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Technical Advice From the list, please!
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <ebrown@ms.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:50:16 -0400
Although I rarely do things like this, after I get my brakes back
together, I'm going to remove my crunched left front wing and cracked
right front wing and strip the paint off of both of these, preparatory
to a straightening and reinforcing job at Morgan Spares in late-Sept.

I need some advice from my colleagues, (and Larry Eckler, you can weigh
in here too, once back from your West Coast debauch).

Do I have to take off that cowling in front of the radiator and the
bonnet to pull off the wings, or can I just unbolt those umpty-ump
fasteners to get the wing off? I tend to take cars completely apart and
then find there's an easier way, so I thought I'd ask the list.

What is the best way to strip paint off these surfaces? Can I take the
wings to my local dip shop and expect anything usable to come back? Do I
need to etch the metal with one of those preparatory compounds (like I
used twenty years ago on my PV544) before bringing all to my wing man
(the aforementioned Larry)? I know these wings are made of pieces of
metal & I am tempted to strip em with the same stuff I use on old
furniture, which , after all, is what we're dealing with here. But maybe
I'm being overly cautious. I am not naive enough not to expect quarts of
Bondo (TM) slathered all over said wings.

By the way, I've ordered a set of Carbotech brake linings for my 4 whl
drum brakes, and will be installing same over Labor Day weekend. I will
report back to the list on how this goes. They are expensive, I think,
but may provide the brakes that I need the next time I approach the
chicane at Pittsburgh for the eighth time in a row.

Best to all of you. Has been a long (glorious) Summer.

Chip Brown