Re: Parallel Universe (response)

To: " LMG@GoMoG " <gomog@angelfire.com>,
Subject: Re: Parallel Universe (response)
From: "F Kuzyk" <fkuzyk@cgocable.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:23:56 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: LMG@GoMoG <gomog@angelfire.com>
To: Morgan List <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 7:22 AM
Subject: Parallel Universe (response)

> LMG
> GoMoG at
> http://www.angelfire.com/mi/GoMoG/
>
> Richard,
>
> You have put your finger on an important point.
>
> We are a community here, a group of people with a
> common interest to communicate. Luck and circumstances
> allow our Mail List to succeed where others fail.

LMG, I wasn't aware that there were other team net email lists that have
failed.

> We are a small group and that has works for us. We are
>  not 10,000 MG or Triumph owners, we are not even
>  30,000 Morganeers, we are 300 internet enabled Morgan
> owners. The internet resources for us are few and easy
>  to centralize. This also keeps us "cohesive" where
>  others are not, at least for the moment.
>
> There are four interactive communication conduits vying
> to be our communication conduit. The first is this List
>  which has brought and keeps most of us together.
>
> The second is Fred Kuzyk's interactive Morgan message
>  board at http://www.delphi.com/msccc/messages
>
> The third is Fred Kuzyk's Morgan Chat Room at
>  http://www.delphi.com/msccc/chat;
>
> The fourth is Fred Kuzyk's new Morgan Chat Room at
> http://mycomm.excite.com/mycomm/browse.asp?cid=.
> 4g3TS 2kkNzU

Lorne, thanks for the plugs! But you've neglected to mention your own Gomog
site, which vies "to be our communication conduit". Some here have suggested
that your site be the conduit for many clubs. I would like to see say a
MSCCC flyer posted at your site. Something that has not happened at the
Gomog newsletter to date. Frankly, I'm not intending to be your conduit or
this list's. You've got your own that you promote regularly here! You've
also neglected to mention Harald's message board & chat room at his "Centre
Point for Morgan's" site. Lorne, you list the lesser sites but do you bother
to look at their content? Are Harald's or anyone else's attempts "bad", or
just mine?

To my knowledge, the delphi chat room above has never been used by anyone.
It was just another service that delphi added to their boards. The delphi
message board that you mention was created in August 1998 as an adjunct to
my MSCCC site so that the many people at the time who were forwarding cars
for sale, etc could post their own messages. Not just "member only" cars for
sale, but anyone's. Now I can't vouch for anyone's success but a few folk
thought it worthwhile, as they did post their messages. Like John Blair, I
would also forward their missives to this list on the chance that someone
here could also help them or would be interested in their bargains. This is
really injurious to list, isn't it?

The new Excite community isn't simply a chat room. You are welcome to post
materials of various types yourself there - including "things go better with
Gomog's web site" messages! You or anyone can create something else & call
it "Galactic" or whatever.

> I had, in the past, created internet chat rooms for my
> children... [snip] . It caused ill will and their fun
>  "community"  collapsed and that was that.

Well I hope the kids had fun while it lasted & appreciated your effort. Kids
are known for short attention spans. Adults however can make committments to
a goal that may last many years.

> We here may be small in number but we are a "fun and
>  supportive band" because of the cohesiveness this List
>  creates. We should try to protect that.

Lorne you have spoken of cohesiveness. How do you interpret it? Wouldn't it
serve the list better  when you have a single new link (the 4S Club of
Italy) that you simply post it here on the list? Instead of suggestion that
the collective go off the list, to your site -so that you can get more hits
& the potential of more Gomog membership? Here's a snippet from one of your

"For quite a while Tony's Morgan Registry, John Blair's
site and the GoMoG site get as many daily hits as all
other Morgan sites put together or approximately 30
times the MSSC (MSCC) site this week. By word count alone, the
 three sites would swamp a ten years' worth of MSSC's (MSCC's)
 Miscellany issues  ..and there are no ads."

It's nice that you've lumped Tony & John's individual initiatives in with
your club site. Many know that you currently have one of the hottest items
in Mogdom cyber-space. You've questioned my motivations. What are yours? I
have emails from you earlier this year praising my MSCCC site's efforts. You
also expressed a desire for a technical site that exceeded John Blair's
effort. You offered to help me mold the MSCCC site into your vision. Nothing
further was heard from you on this collaboration. Instead, your Gomog site
was born. That's all well & good. You were upset because an article you sent
was published in the club newsletter. This was a "Gomog exclusive" & "not
quite finished". Usually people get upset when they submit something & it
ISN'T shared in print! Any newsletter Editors or Web Meisters ever hear of
such a thing? This is a first for me!

Personally, I don't like to belittle past efforts. We are today as a result
of what formerly was. I share Willie Lamb's view on the merits of the MSCC.
It's the grandaddy of all proper Morgan clubs & remains the largest.
Anything I have sent (article, announcement, photo) has been published by
Miscellany. It's curious that a scant couple of years ago, the young Gomog
decided to affiliate with the MSCC. I presume this was for the legitimacy &
exposure that such affilaition would bestow upon Gomog, as well as the free
issues of Miscellany! The association with the MSCC doesn't seem to be
proudly cherished by Gomog. Given you're recent comments about it, it
doesn't meet your needs in North America. I guess you have gotten all you
can out of that organization, while contributing little towards it.
Currently revelling in the great number of hits you get versus even the MSCC
"and all the other sites combined".

I won't belittle the previous Gomog site, either. It was an early entry onto
the web & it inspired me. The Grant's chose not to update it. You came along
not to incorporate the previous pages, to supplement them, but rather to
supplant them with your bigger & better ones. Done with the blessing of the
couple of active folk who are Gomog. This is cohesive? Eventually a new
bigger club site may come along. The accolades & hits will dwindle for you.
As long as you continue to update frequently, post magazine articles so that
we can get them for free - people will continue to come. But instead of
having to go to Lorne's site, could you not post a text version of an
article here on the list? Or is that not part of your game plan? I don't
wish to continue to update web sites. I've got better things to do with my
time now. I certainly tire of more "jabs" from you disguised as "opinion".
Live & let live, Lorne. I don't care if you like me or 95% of the list
doesn't. I do things because I feel it's right & it doesn't matter what
anyone else thinks. If the MSCI concept goes stagnant, it's because people
have nothing to contribute. It's not dependent solely on me to keep it
going. I will add a link to this list there, as no one else has gotten
around to it!

Our American cousins (& others) must find all this amusing. Others will find
it a waste of bandwith. Kids hold grudges, adults can let them go! We can
carry this on ad infitum or until one of us croaks! If you want to end this
we can "duke it out"! I can send up some of the Morgan goons from Toronto to
check out your knee caps!
But seriously, it would be nice to share a pint with you sometime - if you
are willing! I can bury the hatchet.

Perhaps it's time we let this thread die. It's clear nobody will come
forward to make the NA super club a reality. And any virtual community
(except maybe Gomog) is a threat to the health of this list. 'Nuff said.

"Here's looking at you, KID".
-Humphrey Bogart from "Casablanca".

Cheers,
F.K.