RE: Brake Lines

To: Morgans <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Lines
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:51:46 -0700
Kevin,
The problem with the softer metals such as Aluminum or copper is that they
will fatigue easier than a stainless line. Brake lines take a lot of
pressure every time you push the pedal and there is some amount of expansion
and flexing that takes place in the lines.  I believe the best way to
replace the brake lines is with new stainless lines. You can buy the bulk
lines cheap from J.C Whitney and also purchase the flaring kit from them for
about $30. The only trick with brake lines is that you need a tool that does
double flares. I have the Whitney tool and it work well. I replaced all the
brake lines on my +4 using this tool and the stock brake lines from Whitney.
I personally don't take any chances with the brakes since I value both my
body and my car too much.

Good luck,
Phil Roettjer
67 +4