Leaking rear end

To: "'morgans@autox.team.net'" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaking rear end
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:08:57 -0700
I wanted to throw a question out to the group for advice. The rear end in my
67 +4 is a 3HA that I installed in the spring. It was rebuilt by Larry Ekler
at Morgan Spares and has been working very well except for one thing. I am
getting grease leaking from the breather hole at the bottom of the right
hand outer bearing. My guess at this point is that the inner seal is leaking
and allowing 90W oil to mix with the bearing grease and then leak out of the
breather hole. I have also checked and it does not appear to be getting hot
(from something like a dragging brake shoe). So for now I have sort of
wrapped a shop towel around this to catch the grease so that it doesn't make
too much of a mess. It is not  leaking too bad, but I did get several blobs
of it on the wheel over this weekends trip to the Jiminy peak British
Triathalon (total trip miles was probably 400).

My question at this point is should I immediately pull the axle to replace
the inner seal or can I nurse it along for a few more trips and just put up
with a bit of grease and oil leaking out onto the wheel. It is also not
getting on the brake drum at this point. I don't believe that the 90W
leaking into the bearing compartment should adversely affect the bearing
since it should continue to have good lubrication. I plan to drive the car
to Stowe to the British Invasion meet in several weeks and the problem I
have right now is no time to make a repair. That is going to be about a 500
mile round trip.

I am sure someone must have experienced this problem in the past and I would
welcome all comments.

Thanks,

Phil Roettjer
67 +4