RE: Leaking rear end

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Leaking rear end
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 07:27:59 -0700
Group,
After I sent out the inquiry yesterday I received a few replies, but I also
got to thinking why a new seal would start to leak. The rear only oozes
grease from the hole beneath the outer bearing after some extended period of
highway driving and that grease appears to be thinned by the rear-end oil.
The one thing that is troubling me is that I cannot find a breather hole on
the 3HA rear end. On the 7HA that was originally in the car there were two
breather holes on the outer tubes. I can find no such holes on the 3HA nor
can I find anything that resembles a breather on the main casing. The only
holes are at the extreme outer ends and they are the ones directly below the
outer bearings and the grease fittings on the top side.

Can anyone give me a clue as to where to look for a breather hole on a 3HA
rear end since my suspicion is that the problem I am experiencing is due to
pressure building up in the rear end during these extended running periods?
My plan right now if I cannot find a proper breather is to remove the rear
cover and drill a small hole in its top side.

All comments welcome.

Thanks,
Phil Roettjer
67 +4