Re: Leaking rear end

To: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Subject: Re: Leaking rear end
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@tag.csiro.au>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:00:56 +1000
Phil,

I had the same problem when I changed the hubs on my rear axle. The oil
seals, which are the ones that fit inside the akle tube behind the
bearings, used by Morgans are the old leather type. These are prone to
leaking and I've heard that old hands do not remove old seals but simply
put a new seal in on top of the old ones. I finally found a modern
equivalent neoprene seal used in a Jaguar (sorry I dont have the part
number). These worked a treat. The outer seal is really only a dust seal
and will not stop anything leaking out.

If you leave the situation as is you will find you end up will oil all over
your rear brake linings. Makes for interesting braking characteristics,
esp. on damp roads.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>I wanted to throw a question out to the group for advice. The rear end in my
>67 +4 is a 3HA that I installed in the spring. It was rebuilt by Larry Ekler
>at Morgan Spares and has been working very well except for one thing. I am
>getting grease leaking from the breather hole at the bottom of the right
>hand outer bearing. My guess at this point is that the inner seal is leaking
>and allowing 90W oil to mix with the bearing grease and then leak out of the
>breather hole. I have also checked and it does not appear to be getting hot
>(from something like a dragging brake shoe). So for now I have sort of
>wrapped a shop towel around this to catch the grease so that it doesn't make
>too much of a mess. It is not  leaking too bad, but I did get several blobs
>of it on the wheel over this weekends trip to the Jiminy peak British
>Triathalon (total trip miles was probably 400).
>
>My question at this point is should I immediately pull the axle to replace
>the inner seal or can I nurse it along for a few more trips and just put up
>with a bit of grease and oil leaking out onto the wheel. It is also not
>getting on the brake drum at this point. I don't believe that the 90W
>leaking into the bearing compartment should adversely affect the bearing
>since it should continue to have good lubrication. I plan to drive the car
>to Stowe to the British Invasion meet in several weeks and the problem I
>have right now is no time to make a repair. That is going to be about a 500
>mile round trip.
>
>I am sure someone must have experienced this problem in the past and I would
>welcome all comments.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Phil Roettjer
>67 +4
>67 MGB

Stephen S. Moore
Principal Research Scientist
Beef CRC Molecular Genetics Sub Program Leader
CSIRO, Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre
Level 3, Gehrmann Laboratories, Research Road
University of Queensland, St. Lucia, 4072

ph 61 7 3214 2476
fax 61 7 3214 2480