Re: Brakes

To: Dave.Vodden@uk.ecitele.com, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: TrmpetDave@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 01:17:45 EDT
In a message dated 9/2/99 1:27:28 AM, Dave.Vodden@uk.ecitele.com writes:

<<

I have recently had some issues with the front brakes pulling to one side.
There is no sign that the pistons are sticking. I did wonder about grease
on the disks (bearing in mind the amount of it there is near by) but there
is nothing to suggest that.  When I look at the disks there is a distinct
glaze on the surface, although not more on one side than the other. Someone
told me it is a common affect with asbestos free pads and that it can lead
to brakes pulling.

Does anyone have similar experience?

What is going on?  Is there anything I can do to get rid of it (short of
replacing the disks and the pads)?  Can I stop it coming back?

This was more of a problem with my +8 before the oil lines to the front
suspension were plugged off. Once, when a slow-moving car abruptly veered
into my lane just in front of me (I was going about 60 mph), I did a 180
ground loop and fetched up against the median barrier, doing extensive
damage. I think it is due to oil and grease. I take off the wheels, and take
out the brake pads and wire-brush them with brake cleaner and clean off the
discs with the same stuff, and pressure-hose the grease out of the springs
and calipers. This helps a little, but the most effective move was to plug
the one-shot oil lines.