Re: Brakes

To: <TrmpetDave@aol.com>, <Dave.Vodden@uk.ecitele.com>,
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:01:46 -0700
    Although we have not removed the "one shot " oiling system on the cars
that we service regularly, it is our recommendation that it never be used.
We grease the kingpin bushes with a #2  thickness, high quality chassis
grease every 1,000 to 1,500 miles.  The "zerk" fitting that is located on
the stub axle shoots grease into the open area inside the tube that carries
the bronze bushes and in between the upper and the lower bush.  This grease
will lubricate BOTH  bushes and it is not necessary to use the oiler at all.
The only reason we recommend leaving it on the car is: 1. . originality, and
2. so if you are on a trip of longer than 1500 miles and want to lube the
suspension, it is not necessary to carry a grease gun.  The oiler should
only be used in this case and it should be used when first starting the
engine, while the oil is dead cold.  Depress the button and watch the oil
pressure gauge. It will initially drop, maybe 10 # or so.  Hold the button
depressed until the oil pressure starts to come back up, (this means that
the oil lines to the front suspension have filled with oil and are starting
to pressurize) then immediately release the button.  The oil that has filled
the lines to the front suspension will trickle down into the kingpin without
washing out the grease that is still there and contribute to the lube.
Grease again with real grease as soon as is convenient.  pump grease until
it appears between the lower coils of the front springs above the damper
blade thrust plate.  Wipe the excess grease out from between the coils and
anywhere else in this area.  Only the grease inside  the stub axle and that
under the damper blade thrust plate
 serves any lubricating function, the rest is excess.  Keep the disc,
caliper, and pads completely free of any grease or oil.  We clean them in
lacquer thinner or with acetone.  Minor amounts of grease can be removed
from the pads by soaking, then sun drying and sanding on a flat piece of 80
grit sandpaper.  If the pads have soaked up a lot of oil, and are organic
pads, they should be replace.  Semi- metallic or metallic or carbon  of
carbon kevlar pads don't seem to be so absorbent and are easier to clean.
The disc can be roughed up with emery cloth stapled to a flat piece of wood
or with an abrasive disc on a electric drill of die grinder. Be careful to
only roughen the surface.  Don't created high and low areas of waviness on
the disc surface.

Regards, Greg Solow