Re: Polished Alloy SLR

To: "Graeme Sutherland" <graeme@mail.xara.com>
Subject: Re: Polished Alloy SLR
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@tag.csiro.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:53:06 +1000
Graham,

The 60's plus 4s are generally 2" taller than the 4/4's. Width and length
are about the same. The extra height can be seen above the rear guards and
in the distance from the windscreen mount to the top of the door. The
effect would be more room between your legs and the steering wheel. The
late 60's Triumph engined plus 4's had lowline bodies (essentially as on
the 4/4) as an option. This became standard towards the very end of
production.

Later model plus 4's (Rover engine) have the Plus 8 body which is 2" wider
and maybe a bit longer.

Cheers

Steve Moore

>    I visited Brands Hatch Morgans on Saturday, and whilst talking one of
>their staff I found out that they look after and fettle the polished alloy
>SLR. Unfortunately the car wasn't there on this occasion, but I was told
>that the story why it remained unpainted was that the car was delivered
>shortly before a race, and as a result it's then new owner didn't have
>time to paint it.
>
>    This month's Classic and Sportscar has a short feature on Brands
>Hatch Morgans, and you can see the tail end of the car in the photo.
>
>    I've got a quick question too. When I was down there, I had a sit in
>both a '79/80 Plus Four, and a very tidy '63 4/4. I'm rather tall (around
>6'3"), and found the 4/4 to be quite tight, whilst the +4 was reasonable.
>Does anyone know whether the '60s Plus Fours (which is what I'm interested
>in) are larger than the 4/4? And would a low-line car be more cramped than
>then standard body?
>
>    Thanks,
>
>        Graeme

Stephen S. Moore
Principal Research Scientist
Beef CRC Molecular Genetics Sub Program Leader
CSIRO, Tropical Agriculture
Molecular Animal Genetics Centre
Level 3, Gehrmann Laboratories, Research Road
University of Queensland, St. Lucia, 4072

ph 61 7 3214 2476
fax 61 7 3214 2480