Re:brake shaft (was lube question)

To: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>, KatHaus7@aol.com
Subject: Re:brake shaft (was lube question)
From: "John F. Bates" <jfbjd@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:52:34 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>
To: <KatHaus7@aol.com>
Cc: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, September 10, 1999 5:55 PM
Subject: RE: lube question

> Before/during/after your pedal lube, you may want to consider removing the
entire assembly for cleaning/servicing.  It's only held in the car by, I
believe four bolts and the two clevis pins.  It's a good opportunity to
clean-up all the gunk which accumulates on the floor and crossframe area.
Good time to replace the clevis pins (they connect the pedal to the yoke of
the clutch and to the brake master cylinder) as they can wear, get thin, and
break.  New cotter pins of course.  And check the actual pedal to make sure
the hole hasn't ovalized or enlarged too much as this can cause slop in the
assembly. The whole assembly is easily taken apart, cleaned, and lubed on
the kitchen table as opposed to throwing your back out hunched over in the
car.  This is an "easy" Morgan job, ie one that should not lead to any
unforeseen "horrors" or nothing to break while you're fixing one thing!

Morgan savants:
Is there a distance tube on the pedal shaft between the arms? I have none,
and side play seems relatively unrestrained. There is also an odd somewhat
spiral shaped fitting on the shaft which hits the front of the footwell
member, putting side pressure on the shaft. As always, any advice would be
appreciated.John F. Bates
56 +4 (more assembled today, than yesterday)