parts is parts

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: parts is parts
From: FPS3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:27:51 EDT
One of the things I enjoy about Britmobiles is how generic the parts were for
the older cars. Lots of interchange stuff.  My best contacts are a couple of
guys who have been in the brit junkyard/parts biz for years. For instance-
when I needed valves for a Willment head (!!!) they looked at it and
identified the valves a Jag. Later I found a reference and sure 'nuf- it used
Jag valves. I love it... When I needed valve guides- he dug into his toolbox
and came up with a set for TR7... work like a charm.

Distributors are like that- seems Lucas used lots of the same parts for 'em
all. I've run a Mini Cooper S dist on my Ford- just changed the drive cog.
Just built another using a D4 distributor off of a TR but swapped the weights
off of an old 100E to limit the advance to 7 degrees. Cut off the vacuum
canister so that I now have centrifugal advance dist with vernier adjustment
for timing. Mini dist cap fits fine. Ford cog pins right onto the TR shaft.
Keeps it fun.

Also installed dual bungs in the header for oxygen sensors. Now in theory, I
can adjust both front and rear carbs to the Nth. I have been so impressed
with the tuning via the air/fuel ratio meter. This should be interesting.
Gotta run out the lead race gas first- so I haven't done it yet (dual meter).
Next day or so...

Fred Sisson