Re: Insurance on racing cars

To: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Subject: Re: Insurance on racing cars
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <ebrown@ms.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:01:04 -0400
I have the declared value insurance through, I think, American Century
in NJ. Costs less than $100 per year, I think. Restrictive in terms of
mileage to 1500 or so miles per year, need multiple vehicles (so they're
sure you're not driving the old Mog to work each day) and you agree on
the value of the risk/possible loss. Covers theft, fire, termites,
locusts. Doesn't cover anything moving that happens on a track. So, for
example, my current repair bill for hitting those hay bales at
Pittsburgh is only insured by Suckitin Insurance of Brownsville,
Connecticut. Nobody is going to insure your car for racing, nor provide
you with liability coverage for hitting others while racing. I
understand, but check with your counsel on this please, that the waivers
you sign at the track mean that you're held harmless if your clapped out
Morgan t-bones and destroys a blower Bentley. Contrarily, the risk to
your car is all yours. That's why I race a Morgan and not a Bugatti. I
don't think I could stand the thought of destroying something that's
worth more than my house. I love my Morgan, but it isn't a particularly
valuable car, and that's the way I'd like to keep it.

Do the vintage racing. Get all the safety upgrades you can manage. Get a
fuel cell, no matter what they say. Get a robust roll bar. Use a neck
brace. Take your missus to the track. Race from the back of the grid.
Let the type A's get their jollies by lapping you. Don't get sucked into
the horsepower wars. Put a smirk on your snirk that nobody can take
away, even if you bend the SOB.

Best, and  let us know what you decide to do.

Chip Brown