Re: Insurance on racing cars

To: Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Insurance on racing cars
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:25:25 -0400
At 11:01 AM 9/21/99 -0400, Ernest(Chip) Brown wrote:

>.... but check with your counsel on this please, that the waivers
>you sign at the track mean that you're held harmless if your clapped out
>Morgan t-bones and destroys a blower Bentley. Contrarily, the risk to
>your car is all yours. That's why I race a Morgan and not a Bugatti. I
>don't think I could stand the thought of destroying something that's
>worth more than my house. I love my Morgan, but it isn't a particularly
>valuable car, and that's the way I'd like to keep it.

Don't know if we have any lawyers on this list or not, and it is NOT my
intention to flame them here.  BUT....

Like most things legal, it is up for interpretation, and if a lawyer thinks
he can make a buck at it he'll try.  What does this have to do with Chip's
comments,

   My dad used to have a competative midget (not an MG - but like the sprint
cars) with a fuel injected Chevy II eng.  We took it to the track one day
to test it before we took it up North.  To make a long story short, the
driver (luckily was wearing a flame suite) noticed a fuel leak and elected
to bring the car around to the pits hot (the eng. still running - these
cars don't have starters and no clutch).  When he poped it out of gear and
started slowing down in the pits so we could find the fuel leak, it errupted!
He spent quite some time in the burn unit of a local hospital.

  While it was HIS decision to drive, HIS decision to NOT shut the eng. down,
that didn't stop is son from bringing a $7,000,000 suit against my dad.  The
suit dragged out for 7 years.  Finally dropped.  But my dad still incurred
the legal fees, and MANY a sleepless night!!!

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org