Compression Issues

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Compression Issues
From: jpavone@vanstar.com
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 06:25:02 -0700
I recently ran a compression test on the nearly stock Ford 1600 crossflow
in my 59' 4/4 1600 during the course of a tuneup . The compression test
showed 150, 131, 132 and 149 on cyls 1 through 4 when cranking the engine 8
times. Adding oil to the two low cylinders pushed thier compression up to
150 each. However, if I turn the engine over 13 times, without adding oil,
the reading is 152, 149, 148 and 151. The engine runs fine, doesn't use oil
or smoke and the plugs look normal. The engine only has 3000 miles since
being freshened with new rings, bearings and valve springs.  In  a previous
life the engine was fully rebuilt (including new pistons, valves etc) and
run for only two races in a vintage Formula Ford.  As it was originally
fitted to a race car, it is a bit "loose" in specification. Therefore, the
piston to bore size is a tad on the generous side but within factory
allowances. I could probably borrow a leakdown tester to look into this
further. Should I bother?  Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

John