Re: removing a rear brake drum?

To: "hals@ix.netcom.com" <hals@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: removing a rear brake drum?
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 99 18:10:38 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

 The hub ( which is what you are trying to pull off) can be a real bear to
get off. You say you have tried a 'small ' puller. Well I truly doubt you
will get it off with anything that is 'small' . I used a large  three finger
puller.
You also mention having having the puller  real tight.  A hub puller does
not  pull the hub by tightening the screw , to work properly the shaft of
the puller should have a little nipple on the end which will fit inside the
small hole in the end of the axle shaft which was used as the centering
point on the lath when the axle was  manufactured ( it would appear to be a
little hole in the center of the threaded end of the axle shaft ) . Tighten
the screw shaft of the puller as tight as you can with a hand wrench. Now
find the biggest hammer you can find ( here in Texas Chuck Harris is the
King of hammers and you want a real  CHUCK HARRIS  type hammer  ie 5lbs or
so ) and hit the head of the puller shaft repeatedly  with some really good
blows .   The  hub will go " POP and fall off.
 Hints : leave the slotted nut on the shaft but loose, this will help keep
you from messing up the threads and will keep the hub and puller from flying
across the garage  when it breaks loose)
If the puller does not have a nice stout head  on the end of the shaft
which looks like it could take all the blows you can dish out you have a
gear puller which is not going to do the job.

This is one of those jobs that without the right tool you will end up paying
out 10 time the cost of the tool for replacement parts . Try renting one if
you will not need it often  .

BTW don;t use heat, you have a  rubber seal  between that hub and the
housing which will melt .

Bob Nogueira