Re: part colors

To: re3@ix.netcom.com, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: part colors
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:01:39 -0400
As I recall reading somewhere and as was evident in my car, a '67 +4, the
body was sprayed with whatever was to be the final color, then a worker
painted all the exposed interior parts black with a brush and bucket of
paint, then the dashboard was installed and the interior trim tacked on. In
my car, the underside of the scuttle was unpainted, with the exception of a
couple of errant brushstrokes. The engine bay was similarly brushed black
over the body color overspray. The sides of the scuttle below the toolbox
and under the bonnet halves are left body color. Looks like a pretty
slapdash way to do it, but fairly efficient.

There was a company North of Boston that specialized in building dories for
the fishing industry back in the days of the grand Banks schooners. Their
method of painting them was to pour a gallon or so of paint into the hull
and slosh and brush it around with a long handled brush, then flip the boat
over and do the same for the outside. there was about a foot thick section
of hardened paint on the floor. Today people buy their dories and spend
hundreds of hours varnishing and hand sanding the gunnels and seats and
getting the hull paint just right.

Point is, don't over restore your Morgan. It was built as an expendable
piece of sporting goods, expected to provide the owner with lots of fun at
relatively low cost, with a side benefit of its simplicity that it could be
easily repaired by the owner.

Jerry Murphy
'67 +4 6676