heat gauge

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: heat gauge
From: "David Burkette" <pdburket@intrepid.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:05:54 -0400
Dear All,

I am trying to get a reading on my temperature gauge.  The car was purchased
as a near basket case, consequently I haven't had any experience with a
running car until now.  I would like to know if the needle on the water
temperature gauge normally shows normal during warm up?  Seems I heard that
the needle in a Plus 4 sits on hot till the ignition is turned on then moves
toward normal during warm up.  Currently the water temperature gauge in my
car rest at normal regardless if the ignition is  off or on.  I have let the
car run as long as five minutes at which time water from the radiator begins
to pour from the overflow tube.  Of course this scares the s--- out me and I
 immediately shut off the engine.  All during this time I see nothing going
on with the temperature gauge.  yesterday my friend saw a brief movement of
the temperature gauge while I was fumbling under the dash.  I tried fumbling
under the dash today while the engine was running , but nothing happened.

The gauges in my car are the later cream face type.  I thought to throw out
that information in case the black faced instruments gave the temperature
reading differently.

 I have tested the radiator fan using a hair dryer with the engine NOT
running, and the fan  works perfectly .  When testing the radiator fan with
the engine running,  the overflow belches antifreeze but the fan never cuts
on.

HELP!

David