Re: heat gauge

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>, <pdburket@intrepid.net>
Subject: Re: heat gauge
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:09:35 -0500
David,

I can't help you with the temp gauge- all of my British cars use the
ether vapor pressure type.  As far as the overflow goes, if you have
filled your radiator to the very top, the car will belch some out when
the thermostat opens the first time.  After that you will get a little
more every time the car gets hotter than it has before.  The main reason
I added an overflow tank to my MGA was that the stable radiator level
was below where the filler neck attached.  The car never came close to
overheating but there was no way to check the radiator (couldn't see the
fluid from the cap) other than adding more and seeing how much it took.

I would start the car with the radiator full and the radiator cap
removed.  This can make a bit of a mess so you may want to use straight
water.  Then watch the coolant as the car warms.  You should get a
couple of good belches right when the T-stat opens for the first few
times and after that see the coolant circulating.  If bubbles continue
to escape or if your coolant looks carbonated, then you have combustion
gasses mixing with coolant.  This is not a good thing.

If you are worried about the car overheating during this, just stick a
meat thermometer into the coolant through the open cap.  If you do this,
remember that you should refrain from complaining about funny tasting
lamb roast at the next meal.

Regards,
Bill