RE: Low Oil Pressure Reading, Plus Four

To: "'morgans@autox.team.net'" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Low Oil Pressure Reading, Plus Four
From: "Blair, John" <JBlair@scn.spawar.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 08:01:15 -0500
When trying to start a freshly rebuilt eng. or a eng.
that has been sitting for a long time, you should
remove the plugs.  Then try to start it.  Then eng will
spin quite fast.  This will help bring up the oil
pressure.  Once you see oil pressure, it is safe to put
the plugs back in and try to fire it.

There is also a tool that will work on many cars to
get the oil pressure up the 1st time.  You pull the
dist. and stick a long stick, that is made to fit, into
the oil pump.  You now attach an electric drill and
spin up the pump that way.

As to the 2" that is probably right.  Remember the
pressure is directly related to the eng. rpm.  So when
starting the eng. the rpm is usually below a few
hundred rpm - and low pressure.  Once the eng. fires
you should be getting 10-20 at idle and about 50-60
at 3000+ rpms.

Hope this helps

John