Moggie Xmas wreath

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Moggie Xmas wreath
From: tjsouz@epix.net
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 09:01:37 -0800
Jane McDaid wrote:

> I think I'm going to have to install a Christmas wreath on the front of my +4
>tomorrow and go out and make a few people smile. After all, Lannis & Toad are
>right, that's what these cars are best used for-making the owner grin and
>spreading the good cheer around a little!
>
> No snow yet in Boston and no road salt either! Now, if the salt spreaders
>hold off for another week maybe my topless mog will make it to the Mass
>chapter of the 3/4 Morgan Group's holiday party at Dave Crandall's next Sunday.
>
> Best to all morganeers!
>
> Jerry Murphy
> '67 +4 6676
>
>Hi Jerry et al,

I think the ideal location for the wreath is on the spare tire.  Morgan
exposed spares are just aching to be covered with a Xmas wreath.

A lighted Morgan wreath brings smiles from all, this from many years of
displaying one on my Morgan.  I suggest a series-parallel 12 Volt
combination of miniature multi-colored lights.  For the electrically
challenged, picture a ladder arrangement of wires where the two vertical
parts of the ladder correspond to the + and - 12 Volts from the car
battery and the rungs are nose-to-tail strings of lights (series
connected).  I prefer to use a string of 3.5 Volt lights with 4 lights
per "rung".  This gives a series string with a 14 Volt rating.  Keep in
mind that a car's charging system puts out 14 Volts or so to charge the
battery up to 12.6 V, so a 14 V string should have a long life.  Put on
enough lights to populate the size wreath you get or make and plug the
lights into the car's 12 V system.  I use an underdash switch now but
for years I just used an alligator clip.

Alternately you could use a string of five 2.5 Volt lights (12.5 Volt
string) and I have used a string of two 6 Volt lights with acceptably
low burn-out.  The 3.5 V lights came from Walmart.

Last night at the MOPs Xmas party I left the +4 flat rad four-seater
wreath lights on from 7 PM to Midnight ( 48 - 3.5 V lights) and there
was still plenty of battery to kick the engine over at 30 deg. F.

Tony Souza
Ottsville, PA