Re: Progress--slooow progress

To: Elton & Jane Wright <delicate@rev.net>, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Progress--slooow progress
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 09:50:40 -0500
At 11:48 PM 12/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Lannis and the Rest of Morgan World,
>
>My '67 tourer project is ever so slowly moving toward a running car again.
>The current brain teaser is deciding which colour red to put inside my dark
>blue car.  (Sounds kinda prewar for such a late model car!)  My dext big
>buck decision is what kind of wheel and tyre combination to go with.  I
>currently have on the ground three 60 spoke painted wires that all look a
>bit too bad for just paint, and one 72 spoker that is fairly new.  Do I go
>with five new chrome/stainless wheels and new tyres, or 4 new painted 72's
>or maybe get three new 72's and hope they match the existing one and try to
>salvage one 60 for the spare?  At this point, I'm kinda like Robert Schuler
>was when he was speaking to the architect about designing the Crystal
>Cathedral, I have no money now, so  it doesn't matter what it cost!

Elton,

  It depends on what you want.  The painted wheel are a little cheaper.
My 65 has the 60 spoke Chrome Wire wheels.  IMHO They look a lot classier
than the painted wheels.  So if I were putting on new wheels I think I'd try
to find out which the car came with, the 60 or the 72 spoke wheels and
then purchase the Chrome ones.

Are you planning on showing the car, and if so with what organization?
If it's AACA, then you really need to have the correct # of spokes or
you'll get hit.  Also I, you will need documentation that the Chrome
wires were an option.  I can provide a doc. from the factory the They
were shipping chrome wires in 65!  I got hit for this at one National
AACA show, before I could prove it.

If your on a tight budget, then you may want to go with painted wheels, or
simply put off getting the new wheels and simply have yours sandblasted
and repaint them.  Drive the car for a while like that until you can
save up enough money for new wheels.  (This assumes you AREN'T going to
race the car.)

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org