Re: Brake Drum removal

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Drum removal
From: "William Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:19:10 -0600
Mike,

You would not have wire wheels, per chance?  On disk wheel cars, the
brake drums slide over the wheel studs and are held in place with small
screws.  They can get away with this because the wheel studs limit
rotation and the wheel itself holds the drum in place once attached.

On wire wheel cars, the drum to hub attachment must fend for itself and
hence the large bolts and nuts.

BTW-  many people leave the grub screws out.  They don't really do
anything once the wheel is on.  The risk is that the drum could come off
with the wheel should rust choose to selectively strengthen the bond
between the two.  Personally, I leave them in but use a ton of
anti-seize.  If a grub screw broke off, however, I would not go to too
much trouble to replace it.

Happy Holidays,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA (disk wheels)